The student news site of  Desert Pines High School

Jaguar Post

Former Cuban Dictator, Fidel Castro passes away

Cevin Clark

The revolutionary icon Fidel Castro dies at the age of 90. He gave his power to his younger brother Raul, who became president in 2008. Fidel has been in bad health for several years. Mr.Castro has held onto his power longer than any living national leader except Queen Elizabeth. Mr.Castro said “I faced my greatest challenge after I turned 60” in an interview with Vanity Fair mag in 1994.

With Castro being dead some said the country would be more free now. This is a chance for the people of Cuba to experience both capitalism and socialism. The people of Cuba have mixed emotions about Castro’s death. Some people are happy about his death some are sad about him passing away. According to The New York Times it says “on friday night, for example many young people did not respond with any visible emotion” They either know what kind of role Castro played Cuba or just didn’t know who he was.

Fidel Castro was born August 13,1926 and died November 25,2016 at the age of 90. He has been married to Dalia Soto de Valle since 1980-2016. He was named “one of the most extraordinary political figures of the twentieth century” by historian and journalist Richard Grott. Castro was criticized by governments and human rights organizations on the western world. Castro put Cuba in the map with his questionable actions. He will always be one of the most inspirational people on this planet

35 Comments

35 Responses to “Former Cuban Dictator, Fidel Castro passes away”

1. Austin Fleharty on January 3rd, 2017 8:37 am

I learned fidel castro was president of cuba and died at 90.

[Reply]

2. Julie Valdovinos on January 3rd, 2017 8:38 am

It was a good article but I wish there was more.

[Reply]

3. Maria Rosas on January 3rd, 2017 8:46 am

This was really interesting to read. I never knew about this person but now that i read this i know at least a little bit of him and his life.

[Reply]

4. April on January 3rd, 2017 8:49 am

Cuba has been through so much with fidel castro as president he was like the next hitler he treated people with disrespect.

[Reply]

5. Magdalena Gonzalez on January 3rd, 2017 8:51 am

The article about when he was born and who he married is irrelevant and badly placed. If they wanted to talk about him it should have bee placed in the beginning. the article should talk more about what he did as president and in more detail the reactions of the Cuban citizens on his death.

[Reply]

6. Shainise Carson on January 3rd, 2017 9:30 am

Fidel Castro gave his brother power and long after he became president in 2008. The Cuba people have mixed emotions about Castro’s death .

[Reply]

7. Tyler on January 3rd, 2017 10:00 am

Nice article

[Reply]

8. isaiah episiodo on January 3rd, 2017 10:13 am

thanks for the information

[Reply]

9. Jose Zarate on January 3rd, 2017 11:35 am

As a kid growing up i heard about castro by reading about him in short storys and even in video games . He seemed like an important figure in history and was talked about often. I feel like you talking about his death is an important topic because kids in this generation i am sure have atleast heard about him.

[Reply]

10. Jose Zarate on January 3rd, 2017 11:36 am

.

[Reply]

11. Rodeanzo jose axibal on January 3rd, 2017 11:41 am

Why where people happy about castro death ?

[Reply]

12. Abigail prado on January 3rd, 2017 11:48 am

This article is well written . It has good paragraphs and good on dates of important days and it has good evidence

[Reply]

13. Milo pacheco on January 3rd, 2017 11:50 am

I heard about this and im happy that the people from cuba are happier.

[Reply]

14. Joana Barajas on January 3rd, 2017 1:37 pm

I heard about Castro’s death and I heard that many people in Cuba were really happy about his death because they said he was like a dictator. I didn’t really know that peoplewere sad about his death or that he is one of the most inspirational people on the planet

[Reply]

15. Dalia Rosas on January 3rd, 2017 1:38 pm

This was a very interesting article. I liked how you made it clear the different opinions on Fidel Castro through out the world. Also how many of his actions were questionable and hpw they affected the response if the people of Cuba.

[Reply]

16. Eddie garcia on January 4th, 2017 8:40 am

I homestly dont have any emotions towards Castro but his story is pretty inspiring because of how long he was in power in.

[Reply]

17. Jose Cabrera on January 4th, 2017 8:41 am

people celebrating Castro’s death is disrespectful for the brother that’s still in power. he could still do something and be like his older brother.

[Reply]

18. Eric Arrieta on January 4th, 2017 8:47 am

Even though the country may be more free without him, he is still a very important person due to him putting Cuba on the map and letting them be known.

[Reply]

19. Yaretzith Flores on January 4th, 2017 8:51 am

Fidel Castro was a powerful leader. Its hard to figure out if you like or dislike him. He gave Cubans so many great things but also took their freedom.

[Reply]

20. Donovan Manuel on January 4th, 2017 8:53 am

Fidel Castro will always be remembered as a icon. With him being 90 years of age he influenced many young people. Many young people including his younger brother Raul. I think With him being dead Cuba will now get a feel of both capitalism and socialist.

[Reply]

21. Jovanna Cruz on January 4th, 2017 8:59 am

The article should include his role in possibly creating world war 3.

[Reply]

22. Marcos Gonzalez on January 4th, 2017 10:03 am

This article provides me with various information that answered some of my questions about Castro.

[Reply]

23. Lesli Nuno on January 4th, 2017 10:03 am

How did the young people living in Cuba not know about Castro ?

[Reply]

24. Sheyla on January 4th, 2017 10:04 am

I feel like the death of Fidel Castro has a big impact on cuban society because some people are happy he died but some aren’t and so everyone has mixed feelings about his death.

[Reply]

25. christopher salvador on January 4th, 2017 10:07 am

why is everyone hating on Fidel Castro

[Reply]

26. Abigail Sanchez on January 4th, 2017 10:09 am

I didnt really know who he was until I found out that he died back in November.

[Reply]

27. Carlos Quintero on January 4th, 2017 10:12 am

Now with his death Cubans will be given feel more freedom. but will Cubans still be offered the help that they were being given when they tried to come to the us from Cuba when Fidel Castro was the president.

[Reply]

28. Franky Garcia on January 4th, 2017 10:16 am

Was castro a bad leader or not

[Reply]

29. Hector Rivera on January 4th, 2017 10:17 am

I have heard alot of negativity towards Fidel Castro on other news outlets.

[Reply]

30. Mario Mercado on January 4th, 2017 11:41 am

Mostly this is good news for most Cubans saying they will be more free but there still is his son and he possibly would follow his fathers footsteps or make Cuba better than Castro did,we will find out in the near future.

[Reply]

31. Francisco on January 4th, 2017 11:59 am

I think its good that fidel castro died because the people of cuba will be able to have more freedom and confidence.

[Reply]

32. Adrian Sanchez-Cruz on January 4th, 2017 11:59 am

Yes, many don’t understand or know who he is, but his death impacted those who loved him and despised him

[Reply]

33. Karina Lopez on January 4th, 2017 12:04 pm

Even though Castro is dead and the power is to his brother Raul there will be no freedom. Due to the brother and all the power his has I believe that there will be no change in Cuba.

[Reply]

34. Alexis Mercado on January 4th, 2017 12:05 pm

When my grandfather was 15 he sailed towards Florida because he was afraid of Fidel Castro and his family felt he was abandoning his culture.

[Reply]

35. Jonathan Ruelas on March 3rd, 2017 1:36 pm

The death of Castro is good news for cuba because now hopefully their will be more freedom and laws that protect the people of cuba. Cuba overall was suffering from the dictatorship but hopefully now everything will turn upside down.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.