The student news site of  Desert Pines High School

Jaguar Post

Water is Life

Dalia Rosas-Perez

Big voices can’t compete against big voices, and protesters against the Dakota Access Pipeline have shown us all. #NoDAPL has taken social media by storm and so have protesters from all over the world . Land has always been the source of many disagreements and the DAPL is not an exception.

Although the planning of this controversial pipeline has been planned since 2014 action was not going to be taken until 2016. This action brought many things upon Energy Transfer Partners, including a law suit. The law suit came from Standing Rock Sioux Tribe as of July 27, 2016. The reason this Tribe filed a lawsuit represented by EarthJustice was because of the location of pipeline.

The pipeline that was(is) going to be used to transport Bakken oil all the way through North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa and Illinois. In North Dakota the pipeline was being set to travel into the Native American Reservation of Standing Rock. The lawsuit was done because of many factors that can affect their whole land. If any oil spill were to happen their water supply would be put in jeopardy. Sioux Tribe is not only using that heartbreaking fact in their defense but also the laws and acts protecting them and their reservation of sacred land.

“No, I don’t know,” was Cindy Martinez’s answer when asked if she knew what the DAPL was and the current situation. Only after explaining to her what it was all about and most sides she responded to the situation by stating,”I think it is a bad idea to build because it is a lot of risk and people shouldn’t take the risk”. As to what she thought of the protesters she stated that they were doing the right thing because,”…they are defending their environment”. It is very important for people to be informed as to what is happening all around them and what they can do to help out.

Many big celebrities and public figures have spoken out about this situation, too. Shailene Woodley has been the greatest outspoken about it. After protesting and giving Native Americans a voice in media was arrested during a protest on October 10th 2016. Even after being arrested and released she has still been active in this fight. Senator Bernie Sanders has also been seen speaking out in protest, on social media and many other places. He is doing what many people believe is what government workers should be doing with their positions.

Recently hundreds of veterans have also joined the protest against the great big oil snake. They marched around with Sioux Tribe and many other tribes showing their sentiments. With their help it seemed as if they had helped relocate the route but unfortunately that is not true. Instead of Energy Transfer Partners looking for another path that would not affect any special land they have agreed to pay the fines being brought upon them. Many people rejoiced at the idea of the relocation but were quickly let down by the persistency of the energy company.

As of now nothing is officially settled and people are still protesting in the sacred lands in North Dakota. It is important to stay informed about everything from what affects you and things that do not. We never know what we can do to help if we do not know what needs helping.

34 Comments

34 Responses to “Water is Life”

1. Kim on January 3rd, 2017 8:40 am

This article is so good and informational! I love!

[Reply]

2. Bryan Cano-Salgado on January 3rd, 2017 8:40 am

I really liked this article because before I left for winter break, I had heard about this a little. But know, I fully understand what is going on and i hope they don’t do the pipeline there or anywhere else that could harm us at any point. #NoDAPL

[Reply]

3. Angely Sandoval- Flores on January 3rd, 2017 8:41 am

I think you got the information right because it gives full proof that people support this problem. People are just taking too much risk as you say, and thats true. They shouldn’t be taking a full risk.

[Reply]

4. Magdalena Gonzalez on January 3rd, 2017 8:43 am

I had heard about this before but never in complete details. This provides great detail and informs the reader.

[Reply]

5. Laura Corona on January 3rd, 2017 8:45 am

i don’t understand why they started the program in 2014, and why they couldn’t do anything until 2016? i believe that if you want to get something done, do it right away

[Reply]

6. Lizette S on January 3rd, 2017 8:46 am

i really like how they started with “Big vioices cant compete against big voices,” Why i like the beging part was beacuse it gets you to want to read it. I also like all the facts they added.

[Reply]

7. Kaitlynn on January 3rd, 2017 8:49 am

The government is so corrupt.

[Reply]

8. Noemi on January 3rd, 2017 8:50 am

The Information was good. But there were some grammar errors .

[Reply]

9. Shainise Carson on January 3rd, 2017 9:14 am

Hundreds of veterans joined the protest and they marched around even big celebrities had spoken and even after people were going to jail they still would protest.

[Reply]

10. Rodolfo sanchez on January 3rd, 2017 10:02 am

Noise mate

[Reply]

11. Julian Llulla on January 3rd, 2017 10:02 am

It gave alot of info about the topic of the story , Good detail

[Reply]

12. Megan Durrett on January 3rd, 2017 10:06 am

I’m glad that celebrities are talking about this.

[Reply]

13. Zhatiya Williams on January 3rd, 2017 10:11 am

This article is very well written and thorough. It informs us greatly and this can pertain to our life, even if we aren’t aware of it. I hope this awakens the students at DP to start caring about what is going on around us instead of just in our vicinity.

[Reply]

14. Milo pacheco on January 3rd, 2017 11:45 am

Really intresting, i hope they get what they want.

[Reply]

15. Alexis on January 3rd, 2017 11:46 am

I think its good that many celebrities and other tribes are helping the sioux tribe. Because they need it so their voice can be hear it for other people around the country.

[Reply]

16. Yaretzith Flores on January 3rd, 2017 11:49 am

This article is very well written and very informative. This artice raises awareness among Dp students. It would be nice to inform the students about how the police treated this peaceful protesters. I really liked this article and the topic.

[Reply]

17. AbegNego Gomez on January 3rd, 2017 11:51 am

This is a very good paragraph, very good sentences.

[Reply]

18. Erick Salazar on January 3rd, 2017 11:54 am

I Like This Article Beause In This Article Each Paragraph Have Really good Details

[Reply]

19. Tremyia Campbell on January 3rd, 2017 12:45 pm

I like that this article is very informational and how it started off with a quote.

[Reply]

20. Mireya Carnnero on January 3rd, 2017 1:40 pm

I agree that company shouldn’t build the pipeline. I think its unfair how they are treaiting the tribe. I liked the article I thought it was very informative and didnt give information nobody care about.

[Reply]

21. Cindy martinez on January 3rd, 2017 1:43 pm

Well first i was interviewed in this article and im sticking to my opinion because the protesters were just defending their land from somthing thats harming their land.

[Reply]

22. Dyanka Narvaez on January 3rd, 2017 1:46 pm

I support those who are prostesting because many things can happen to them and to the place that they live in if that pipe line is planted

[Reply]

23. Brian Trujillo on January 3rd, 2017 1:47 pm

Trying to defend the water life.

[Reply]

24. Eddie garcia on January 4th, 2017 8:44 am

Im thinking the tribe did the right thing by fileing a lawsuit.

[Reply]

25. Rocio on January 4th, 2017 8:51 am

This artical was awsome

[Reply]

26. Hector Rivera on January 4th, 2017 10:10 am

I think all companies and infrastructure projects should respect the sacred land of native americans.

[Reply]

27. Aholyava nava antunez on January 4th, 2017 11:43 am

I dont really think the lawsuit should be filed because that would just get in the way of transporting to different parts of country’s.

[Reply]

28. Jocelyne Sanchez on January 4th, 2017 11:45 am

I think the they will not continue the pipeline because of the veterans joining the protest & i dont think people would want others to think that they are going against people who have served our country.

[Reply]

29. Karen on January 4th, 2017 11:48 am

Props to Danlia for this amazing article, great article!

[Reply]

30. Adrian Sanchez-Cruz on January 4th, 2017 11:51 am

This does seem to be an appealing cause due to peoples lack of attention towards the situation.

[Reply]

31. Edward on January 4th, 2017 11:55 am

it amazing to see many celerbrities and other tribes helping the sioux tribe and that good they helping so the sioux tribe can get their voices out their and to get help for them selves

[Reply]

32. Raymond minero on January 4th, 2017 12:01 pm

I like how you put detail and exaples in your article for exaple when said the pipe line was going to be used to transport bakken oil all the way throught north dakota south dakota lowa and illinois

[Reply]

33. LaShonada McGown on February 21st, 2017 11:45 am

I think this article is very entertaining . It grabs my attention and had information neatly backed up about water being important to other people . Plus people are pushing to fix it.

[Reply]

34. Bryan Servin-Cortez on February 27th, 2017 1:39 pm

Water is life without a doubt , but its sad how many us citizens take water for granted and there are other people who do not have clean water to drink and bathe themselves.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Water is Life