The student news site of  Desert Pines High School

Jaguar Post

Fort Lauderdale Airport Shooting

Betzabet Elizarraras

January 6th, Esteban Santiago was suspected as the Fort Lauderdale Airport shooter killing 5 and wounded 6 that same day. Santiago claimed that he was hearing voices and that the government was controlling his mind.

Esteban retrieved his checked baggage from the baggage area just before 1 p.m. on Friday. He then went to the restroom and authorities said he pulled out a handgun from his luggage inside a bathroom stall. After entering the bathroom he came out and started shooting automatically and had killed 5 people nearby and wounded 6 others as well. After running out of ammunition, he stopped shooting and laid on the floor.

“He had been deeply shaken by seeing a bomb explode next to two friends while serving in Iraq in 2010,” said Santiago’s mother. His brother claimed that Esteban had been hearing voices while other relatives say he seemed different when he returned home.

The FBI passed him to local authorities who took him to a mental health facility. Charged with performing an act of violence against others at an airport and the charges could lead to the death penalty if he is convicted. Santiago was identified by multiple law agencies as the only suspect.

When people were evacuated from the airport there we more than 20,000 pieces of baggage left behind at the airport. The airport was then closed for the remainder of the day, but was reopened to flights early the following day. FBI agents said he had a Walther PPS 9mm semi-automatic pistol, with what he had the day of the shooting. His gun was returned to Esteban after 4 days that he was held.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Fort Lauderdale Airport Shooting”

1. John Stephens on February 24th, 2017 1:40 pm

In my personal opinion i feel he should not receive the death penalty. I say this due to him clearly suffering from Post Traumatic Stress DIsorder (PTSD). This is caused from being in war for a number of years, seeing your friends die or even surviving a nearly fatal incident. I do think he should be tried and put into a mental health facility. Of course what he did was wrong but he does not deserve to die for serving his country and receiving something he can not control.

[Reply]

2. Kaitlynn Reyes on March 28th, 2017 8:44 am

This is a great article but I just feel like the parahragrahs are not in chronological order. Other than that it’s good.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Fort Lauderdale Airport Shooting