The student news site of  Desert Pines High School

Jaguar Post

The Unavoidable Truth

Dalia Rosas-Perez

No matter your viewpoint on Donald Trump, there is no avoiding the fact he will be taking office this year. There will be a three day event to induct him into the position of President of the United States starting on January 19th. Events that include performances and formal ceremonies are taking place on this fateful weekend.

The whole event will begin on Thursday, January 19th with a wreath laying ceremony which will take place at the Arlington National Cemetery. Afterwards there is said to be “Welcome Celebration” at the Lincoln Memorial known as the “Make American Great Again!” celebration. Not many celebrities or performers have agreed to attend, but there are a few. “Toby Keith,…, The Piano Guys, Lee Greenwood, RaviDrums, 3 Doors Down and The Frontmen of Country” are the only ones performing for Trump, and many people don’t even recognize them. “The so-called ‘A’ list celebrities are all wanting tixs to the inauguration, but look what they did for Hillary, NOTHING. I want the PEOPLE!” was what Trump responded when confronted with the fact many celebrities were turning him down.

On Friday, January 20, the second day of the event, the actual swearing in will occur at the US Capitol Building. Usually the elected Vice President is sworn in before the President-Elect and it will not be an exception this inauguration. Trump has already surprised us by replacing the event announcer that has been participating for the last 11 presidents with a MLB one. This event is free general admission, but that doesn’t mean some known faces won’t be there. Hillary Clinton, of course, will be attending with her husband and former president Bill Clinton. Other former presidents like George W. Bush and Jimmy Carter are also attending.

The inauguration is not the only thing happening on the second day. Parades and balls are scheduled to be held that day. It starts at the steps of the Capitol Building and ends at the White House. “Thirty-four local and six national groups will participate” even after protests from some of the schools. Many of the streets will be closed on the route to the white house and around the National Mall of DC. The event is also said to be very active online, on platforms like Twitter and Facebook. Three official balls are being held at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center and National Building Museum. Finally on January 21st, a National Prayer Service is said to be taking place at the Washington National Cathedral from 10 am to 11 am.

Although it may seem like students at Desert Pines have nothing to do with Trump’s Presidency, it can affect them. According to Jade Eckerson, she knows only a few of his policies and promises like building a wall and making Mexico pay for it and creating new and more jobs. She also had a basic understanding of how it can affect our community and the families in it. This is the minimal knowledge most students have on Trump and that is very concerning. Students should be more informed on political situations happening in their country, especially if it has to do with the president. Many of his decisions can and probably will affect you, even if it is in a minimal way.

All in all, the fact that Donald Trump is going to be the 45th president of the United States is not something we can deny. As students the best thing to do is to stay informed and motivate your family members old enough to vote to vote.

6 Comments

6 Responses to “The Unavoidable Truth”

1. Marina rodriguez on February 21st, 2017 12:02 pm

I dint like our president

[Reply]

2. Mayra. R on February 21st, 2017 1:40 pm

The fact that we all know Trump is our president. No one really likes him unless you as racist as he is. No matter what he does or what he says the words that come out his mouth hurts us which makes us think negative about him.
    News ! #1 The unavoidable truth .

[Reply]

3. Felipe Bermudez on February 23rd, 2017 1:59 pm

I believe that people have to accept the reality of every situation, even if it’s something they don’t like, Donald Trump being our president is a situation that most people don’t like, but it’s something that can not be undone.

[Reply]

4. Eduardo Tellez on February 27th, 2017 1:42 pm

I was upset with Trump being our president at first but later on I finally accepted it. Also I trust the system of checks and balances from stopping any of Trump’s crazy ideas. Just keep calm and stay educated.

[Reply]

5. Luis Angel Pavoǹ on March 3rd, 2017 1:34 pm

Even though most people dont like the new president, including myself, there is nothing we can do about it. Although it may be hard to live with the fact that our new president is a racist, he most likely wont be elected for a second term due to the fact that he might bring our economy down.

[Reply]

6. Joselin Llerenas on March 28th, 2017 8:45 am

This years election had bad candidates. Either way, problems would surface with both parties. Although im personally not a fan of trump and his idiotic ideals, Hillary for being solely a woman, would’ve caused problems with our allies. And thats wrong on the bare minimum but its the reality that we live in. And its sad, very sad. But this post made me think a lot more so good job.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The Unavoidable Truth