The student news site of  Desert Pines High School

Jaguar Post

New Age For Resistance

Dalia Rosas-Perez

Friday, January 20, 2016 was a very memorable day for America and the world, but the day afterwards was even more so. It is no secret many Americans are not happy with the outcome of last year’s election and they are not letting their voice go unheard. All throughout the United States protest and marches have broken out including the biggest one called ‘Women’s March on Washington’.

‘Women’s March on Washington’ is a grassroots movement or a political movement created by the people. It was scheduled to take place on Saturday, January 21 in Washington to show they didn’t agree with the newly inaugurated President Donald Trump and his ideas. The biggest news came after the number of people participating went from 200,000 to 500,000 in Washington and more than 2 million worldwide making it the largest inaugural protest in all history.

The reasoning behind this March on Washington was mainly on coming together as a nation and showing Trump and his supporters that they wouldn’t be silenced and divided. They were going to speak out on Women’s health and letting them have their own choices. This was not the only group present, people from every race and from different communities like the LGBTQ+ and also people with disabilities were there.

These groups were allowed to speak during the rally held before the march. DACA recipients, BLM participants, indigenous women, and many more stated their concerns while also asking for help from the other people present. Many celebrities were also present not only in Washington, but in many other marches around the country. Bernie Sanders gave a speech in Vermont while Rowan Blanchard spoke in California and Alicia Keys sang in Washington.

Las Vegas was not left out of this movement. The march began on East Freemont Street in Downtown Las Vegas and ended in the Lloyd D. George US Courthouse. Many roads were closed since 11 am and we’re opened at approximately 4 pm in an attempt to allow them to march. “Nevada’s Future, Advocates of Planned Parenthood Nevada, NOW, Downtown Project, Zappos, The City of Las Vegas, LVMPD,100 Black Women, Together We Will Nevada, Battle Born Progress, Mobile Tower Power, Stronger Together, Erotic Museum Vegas, PLAN, Black Girls Inspired, The Center, iAmerica, Jewish Voice for Peace, NCL, BSU Rancho High School, Culinary Workers Union 266, Mi Familia Vota, ACLU and individuals in our community who have stepped up to help,” were the people present in the demonstration according to Channel 13 Action News.

Although it was an independent movement, done in each state, people were behind the Washington March. The women organizing the protest were Lindale Sarsour, Tamika D. Mallow, Bob Bland, Carmen Perez, Shishi Rose, Sarah Sophie Flicker, Vanessa Wrubble, Paola Mendoza, Janaye Ingram, Ginny Suss, Nantasha Williams, Alyssa Klein, Shirley Marie Johnson, Ting Ting, Heidi Solomon, Deborah Harris, Mrinalini Chakraborty, Deborah Johnson, Renee Singletary, Evvie Harmon.

All over social media support and opposing opinions have been pouring in. “President Trump, you made a big mistake. By trying to divide us up by race,  religion, gender, and nationality you actually brought us closer,” was what Bernie Sanders informed not only Trump but his supporters. It is important to know that we are stronger united in the same fight then separated fighting on our own.

9 Comments

9 Responses to “New Age For Resistance”

1. Carlos Ortiz on February 17th, 2017 11:05 am

Honeslty, you cant stump the trump. #MAGA filet mignon

[Reply]

2. Raymond minero on February 17th, 2017 11:15 am

I feel like its sad how some people dont support the president like as much as you hate the president you have to support him so America dont and i agree america can be stronger if we fight together then tomorow

[Reply]

3. Noemi on February 21st, 2017 8:41 am

I think in General , we shouldn’t be divided because of our race , religion , or anything like that. Were all human beings no matter what. Were all equal .

[Reply]

4. Marina rodriguez on February 21st, 2017 11:48 am

I think that we are all human,we are all the same i think that the movements we are doing are gonna become suscessful ,and i know for a fact that our PRESIDENT is disrepecting us

[Reply]

5. Bryan Servin-Cortez on February 21st, 2017 1:44 pm

I was once told that no matter how bad our leaders are we cannot disobey them because they know what’s best for us , i think this should apply to every other leader and not to Donald Trump. I can say some of his ideas aren’t the greatest yet he was still elected as the president of the united states. We need someone who knows what there saying and doing , Trump is a big fat joke.

[Reply]

6. Eduardo Tellez on February 21st, 2017 1:47 pm

This is a great article despite the one typo where it says ‘closet’ instead of closer. This article informs of all the details occurring during the day of ‘immigrants’. I think it’s inspiring that so many people joined the march and that many more helped make sure this event received the attention it deserves. Together we are stronger and we will have our voices heard.

[Reply]

7. Treasure Tellis on February 22nd, 2017 1:03 pm

I think that this is a very good point although everyone should be treated the same no matter the skin color and yes we will not allow the president to disrespect us. If anything we will have to ignore negativity and keep on pushing.

[Reply]

8. philip arnold on March 3rd, 2017 1:36 pm

i thinks it good that everyone all over america is protesting .because president trump is trying to send people back to there country.so it is good that so many other race,gender and ethnic people are coming together because if we don’t trump is going to do something bad.

[Reply]

9. ivan Orellana on March 3rd, 2017 1:42 pm

i dont like the new president i think hes racist and hes not a really good president and hes disrespectful too and i dont really care about the presidential thing or election thing

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

New Age For Resistance