The student news site of  Desert Pines High School

Jaguar Post

Should The NBA Eliminate Conferences

Franky Garcia

The NBA has teams set in divisions that are placed in two separate Conferences, East and West. The top eight teams from each Conference will the compete against each other in the playoffs. Then the winner from each conference will play against each other in the final. For some teams the playoffs are very hard but for others their team easily advances to the finals. With this being the case should conferences be eliminated?

Yes, if conferences were eliminated the NBA would drastically change. Teams will be able to play every team more than two times without conferences. Teams and players will no longer be able to dominate a conference as easy. They will always be up against the best teams and no longer just beat easier opponents.

The Playoffs will have the most change without Conferences. There would be a 16 team bracket rather than the usual eight team. With this bracket after teams that are eliminated in the first round of the Playoffs, things will become way more interesting. Teams will now go up against teams equally as good as them. There will be no easy way to the finals using this type of bracket. If this were to happen teams like The Cleveland Cavaliers won’t breeze through the Eastern Conference in the playoffs,The Cavs in the 2015 playoffs was almost too easy they went 4-0 against The Boston Celtics, then 4-2 against The Chicago Bulls, and then 2-4 in a loss to the Golden State Warriors in the NBA Finals. Again in the 2016 playoffs they were 4-0 against The Detroit Pistons, 4-0 against The Atlanta Hawks, 4-2 against the Toronto Raptors, then winning the playoffs 4-3 against Golden State.

Fans dream of a NBA that will always be up tempo and exciting, but to every good thing comes a smaller consequence. Problems will mostly appear in the playoffs rather than the regular season. Travel has always been a problem for teams that have to play each other like The Los Angeles Lakers and Boston Celtics are a good example because they are on opposite sides of the country.

Schedules are also a problem that can affect teams. Some teams go into games being very tired from back to back games. There were 5 teams with the most back to back games; Pistons, Warriors, Clippers, Rockets, and Bucks. These 5 teams had a total of 20 back to backs. With the Conferences, back to back games are reduced allowing teams to rest their players more often so they can always be ready to play.

If you are still uncertain if this will work this process has already been applied in the WNBA, as a result fans witnessed one of the most exciting playoffs and a historic Finals matchup. The format is very simply, the first and second rounds are single elimination. In the first round, the No. 5 seed hosts the No. 8 seed and the No. 6 seed hosts the No. 7 seed. In the second round, the No. 3 seed hosts the lowest-seeded first-round winner and the No. 4 seed hosts the other first-round winner.

With this process applied to the NBA we could witness match ups like The San Antonio Spurs vs The Golden State Warriors in the Finals. What seems like a crazy scenario could possible become something real. The side you choose is a matter of opinion and even if this something that doesn’t happen it is something interesting to think about.

1 Comment

One Response to “Should The NBA Eliminate Conferences”

1. Tesioun Diggs on March 28th, 2017 8:41 am

I think i would be an good idea for the conferences to be eliminated because on the article the game could be a lot more interesting with all the teams going agansist each other twice and competing for the last two teams in the finals would be a great show for the fans to watch the teams go head to head to win a championship.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Should The NBA Eliminate Conferences