Jaguar Post

The Evolution of Gender Roles

Dalia Rosas-Perez, Executive Editor

Gender has always been at the center of debate throughout history. Whether one is better than the other or if one should or should not be allowed to do something has been challenged and changed. Gender roles are an especially hot topic today with the focus on the LGBTQ+ community.

The conversations regarding whether a girl should work or if a man should cry are rather touchy subjects. Some people believe that the gender “roles” are correct and should be followed to a ‘T’, while others think that they are useless. Regardless of your belief on this topic, it is undeniable that they have evolved over time.

According to huffingtonpost.com, many trends have gone from “men” trends to “women” trends. For example, the “girlie” sport known as cheerleading used to be a “man’s” sport. “The reputation of having been a valiant [cheerleader] ‘cheerleading’ is one of the most valuable things a boy can take away from college,” stated an article in “The Nation” newspaper.

Similarly, teacher and secretarial positions were seen as jobs for men, until they became ‘feminized’.

“As more women entered the workforce, the field began to shift,” explained Sara Boboltz of huffingtonpost.com. This further supports that gender roles, rather than being supported by facts and tradition, are enforced by a sexist and misogynist agenda.

“Most of the time when something begins to be associated with the feminine, it gets ‘contaminated’ for men,” claimed Valerie Steele, Director of the  Fashion Institute of Technology Museum.

People at Desert Pines have also shown their opinions. “I think gender roles today are a bit more fluid so people are able to define for themselves what their gender roles are and what they most want to go by or want to follow. So I think it’s a little bit more fluid today than what is has been in the past,” stated Ms. Sole, ninth grade English teacher.

The impact on society can also be viewed differently, depending on who you are.

“It could be in between, I think, because it can be positive for whoever it’s going to help and then negative for other people who are against it,” stated tenth grader Jade Eckerson.

Although people today seem less affected by gender roles because of how they view them, it is clear that their are still some signs of their presence. From ideas seeded into our brains from our parents to the ideas society has put upon us we are all influenced by gender roles. The important things is how we handle them and if we force them on other people.