Jaguar Post

DACA: An assumption is to be made

Perla Martinez Bravo, Senior Reporter

Good news has flown in, just in time for dreamers to realize life is not over– yet. Earlier this week, the U.S. Supreme Court paused an action that would have destroyed a program valuable to millions of immigrants who are in search of a better life.

DACA, (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) was presented under threat in June, 2017 by the Trump Administration, terrorizing to tear this program apart. Luckily, the court has decided to hear the case first. While the process is being analyzed and looked at, DACA recipients and dreamers do not remain a priority, and therefore do not face potential deportation, according to a statement by The White House.  (https://www.npr.org/2018/02/26/588813001/supreme-court-declines-to-take-up-key-daca-case-for-now)
Those with a criminal record will be investigated and questioned by the Immigration, Customs and Enforcement agency of Homeland Security (ICE).

“We continue to focus our enforcement resources on those who pose a threat to national security, public safety or border security,” responded by deputy press secretary at ICE, Sarah Rodriguez, in an email directed to National Public Radio (NPR). On behalf of President Trump’s reaction, he argues that the Democrats do not want to be associated with anything regarding a solution to DACA.
On February 24, 2018, Trump stated his opinion with a tweet, “Dems are no longer talking DACA–’Out of sight, out of mind,’ they say. DACA beneficiaries should not be happy. Nancy Pelosi truly doesn’t care about them. Republicans stand ready to make a deal!”

The White House is convinced its suggestion to ending this program was in vain. White House personnel believe that granting work permits and free rights to ‘illegal immigrants’ is just unacceptable.

“The DACA program, which provides work permits and [a] myriad [of] government benefits to illegal immigrants in masse, is clearly unlawful”, as stated by White House spokesman, Raj Shah to NPR.
In contrast, many dreamers and fellow DACA followers hold onto the hope for this resource to remain firm and strong, not minding the criticism of several opposing views. For the moment, DACA is uncertain and the Supreme Court is analyzing it closely; meanwhile renewals and requests are still being accepted until Feb. 13, 2018.   (AUG. 30, 2017) -Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images ~Chicago Tribune (Image)

1 Comment

One Response to “DACA: An assumption is to be made”

1. Kelley J Sultan on March 6th, 2018 9:22 am

Thank you, Perla, for diligently covering this very timely and critical story.

Ms. Sultan

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The student news site of  Desert Pines High School
DACA: An assumption is to be made