Jaguar Post

Gun Violence Walkout at Desert Pines High School

Mireya Carnero, Megan Durrett, and Diana Salas

The Desert Pines High School community is officially responding on Wednesday, March 14, 2018, to gun violence in American schools.

Desert Pines students are taking action by participating in a 17-minute walkout in order to remember those who died February 14, 2018, in the Parkland, Florida shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

The school shooting in Florida led to 17 deaths of high school students, including 3 staff members. The national walkout is happening at 10 a.m. Wednesday, March 14th, 2018 on the Desert Pines High School Campus. A moment of silence will signify each person who died.

The Florida mass school shooting continues to splash front page headlines of media across America. It has brought attention to gun laws and what measures need to be taken to avoid anymore casualties. It has been and continues to be a nationwide discussion.

But also the walkout will serve as a protest for stricter gun laws or for better safety in all American schools.

Any students planning to participate in this event should know that the school district will support any event if it is pre-approved by administrators beforehand to ensure safety.

The Clark County School District states that if any student participates in anything not approved by the district, they will be marked unexcused or tardy.

“Nevada law (NRS 392.040) requires all children between seven and 18 years of age to attend school. Nevada law (NRS 392.130) also requires the district to mark students unexcused and notify their parents if they do not show up to class.” says website https://newvoicesus.com/nevada/

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Gun Violence Walkout at Desert Pines High School”

1. Amanda Quiltch on March 14th, 2018 10:26 am

I love the story.

2. kelly moyer on March 14th, 2018 10:27 am

This is a very moving story good job guys.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The student news site of  Desert Pines High School