Jaguar Post

The Migrant Caravan: What is the Nation Saying About This?

Back to Article
Back to Article

"Migrant Caravan resumes march north from Mexico-Guatemala border."

(Taken from Fox News 43)

(Taken from Fox News 43)

(Taken from Fox News 43)

Perla Martinez Bravo, Senior Reporter

The migrant caravan which consists of more than 7,000 Central American migrants,  according to BBC News, has demonstrated their presence at the border trail between the United States and Mexico.

Many of these migrants, who originate from the Central American countries of Honduras, El Salvador, and Guatemala, have made their way towards the Aztec City of Mexico, where Mexicans have more individual freedoms.

On the day of October 13, 2018, a majority of migrants departed the city of San Pedro Sula, located in Honduras, and made their secondary stop in Mexico City, Mexico on November 4, 2018.

Nine days later, the border city of Tijuana became a destination route for this caravan, with a daunting demand to cross onto American soil. However, the tremendous risk is challenging for the many who attempt and struggle to cross the border poles; and yet–Border Patrol Enforcement met with success in preventing the caravan from crossing the border.

This dangerous path toward an uncertain arrival is continuously traveled by large groups of unaccompanied children, a few aged adults, as well as the majority of the  general adult population.

Many of these caravans originated from Honduras, El Salvador, and Guatemala. According to the American news outlet, Vox News, the article, “The Migrant Caravan, explained,”  at least 950,000 Central Americans have been deported from Mexico during the past few years as human rights groups have reported torture and disappearances by Mexican security forces. What is the real danger beyond crossing several countries borders?

As part of this research, this reporter gathered questions that apply to this topic and began interviews with two students at Desert Pines High School. Opinions and feelings stand out as very important factors in regards to those in the Migrant Caravan.

Question 1 (Anonymous Student 1):

PM: “How do you feel about this Migrant Caravan seeking its way to the United States.”

AS1: “I don’t have a problem with [it] at all. I believe there should be chances given to these arriving people and for their children who, unfortunately are suffering the most.”

Question 2:

PM: “What is one piece of advice you would like to give to these people on their journey to the U.S?”

AS1: “To be safe and on the search everywhere because these times are thrilling with uneven temperatures, dangerous routes, and easily to get bitten or stung by any animal.”

Question 3:

PM: “If you were president of the U.S., what would you do to take action in this situation?”

AS1: “Picturing myself as president, [I] will consider of various laws, actions, and commitments that will benefit this country in a non-violent and considerate manner.

In this case, various families will be checked by medical personnel to make sure their well-being is stable. Next, after our concerns are taken off the chart, background checks and criminal records will be checked. Finally, depending on each person’s situation, we’ll make our determination for letting them pass.”

[Reporter Note: Research for this last interview was gathered based on several opinions and concerns as well.]

Question 1 (Anonymous Student 2):

PM: “Do you think the U.S. should allow entry for immigrants?”

AS2: “In my opinion, I believe many come here for a good purpose whether it’s for an open door for education, a good living, religious tolerance, or simply to receive a

well- paying job. Although not all of us come in good thinking, background checks and criminal activity should be checked for safety purposes.”

Question 2:

PM: “As a Hispanic person, what do you feel about this whole situation, raising to a point where many migrants have to risk their own lives?”

AS2: “Personally, I feel that there’s no need for each and every one of them to make the struggling journey here [U.S.] due to many overcoming hardships. Not only will they face deportation if they get caught, but also health concerns and the concern for their children will be highly on their concerns. It’s a very cautious path to risk.”