Jaguar Post

Arming Teachers? Required or Desired?

Christian Furman, Editorial Writer

(Photo credit: https://twitter.com/parkertoons.)

Arming teachers, another method of defense or just one more issue that involves gun violence? Is arming teachers worth it? If so, how will they be trained to handle guns? Will faculty be required to wear guns?

When it comes down to an environment with weaponry objects, school is the least appropriate place for guns to show up. So– is arming a teacher any better then a student? Will armed teachers replace school police?

The main fact of the matter is that  world violence comes when guns are involved. Teachers across the states and country are protesting this idea.  

As shown in the article written by Meera Jagannathan, “Poll: most teachers want gun control, not guns to carry.”https://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres-what-teachers-actually-think-about-arming-teachers The majority of teachers hate the idea of introducing guns to the system.

“Nearly three-quarters of all U.S teachers refuse the ideal of carrying guns in overwhelming amounts and numbers of their own personal opinions. The overwhelming number that 73 percent of teachers oppose arming and training teachers to carry guns.”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres-what-teachers-actually-think-about-arming-teachers-2018-03-16-1288403

Even out of the 17 percent of people who would speak of better school security, only 7 percent mentioned arming teachers.

(Photo credit: The Atlanta Voice)

Teachers already pay out of their own pockets for materials but now people expect them to pay for their own guns as well?

According to the editorial board of the Washington Post, “it found that 94 percent of teachers pay for classroom supplies, spending an average of $479 a year. About 7 percent of teachers spend more than $1,000 a year.

The report was released as Arizona, Oklahoma and West Virginia continue to feel the aftershocks from teacher protests over low pay and cuts to school spending that shut down schools for days.https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/teachers-shelling-out-nearly-500-a-year-on-school-supplies-report-finds/2018/05/14/af2affae-57b8-11e8-b656-a5f8c2a9295d_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.9d1534ac0642  

Now that same department has a solution: Under the leadership — and we use that term guardedly — of Secretary Betsy DeVos, the department is actually thinking — yes, we use that term guardedly as well — of letting states use federal funds to buy guns for educators.

In the final thoughts of this column, arming teachers with guns is a problem that we cannot get past very easily and it will not just go away. Arming teachers is not the correct way to protect our schools. Our students agree, our country agrees, and our teachers agree.

10 Comments

10 Responses to “Arming Teachers? Required or Desired?”

1. adviser on February 21st, 2019 1:49 pm

Excellent opinion piece, Chrisitan–you are fast, accurate, and edit yourself well.
    Thank you for joining our staff!

Mrs. Sultan

2. sebastion corbitt on February 25th, 2019 10:19 am

If you read what they want they said people that have permets can bring one if they want. it’s not Forcing anyone to do anything . they are not being forced to pay its completely voluntary, while I don’t care if teachers get or don’t get to carry there are positives and negatives to everything, but the way you are framing this is really bias now I understand its an opinion piece but still man try to be more center. If you really want to bet to the bottom of this than don’t misconstrue what the argument is that’s not going to solve anything just make us more divided.

3. adviser on February 25th, 2019 9:57 pm

Hi Sebastion,

Thanks you for your critical analysis on your colleague’s opinion piece.
    Balance is critical in covering the news, however opinions or editorials are just that–opinions;
    and the Jaguar Post strives to be balanced in its coverage of news and opinions.

Mrs. Sultan

4. Cristobal C. on February 25th, 2019 10:26 am

I agree with the idea that three should be specific armed teachers because of three reasons. First what i mean specific is that the teachers has to prepare mentally for a life and death situations ,and have experience withe the usage of a fire armed weapons. Secondly, is that these will help teachers to defend their students if the police are going to 10 min or more late to the school, but these should be considered last defense when the shooter is arm with a gun and going to break down the door.Thirdly,is that will make peoples that are planning a school shooters more difficult to do it or more wary about it because of the teachers being armed with a weapons which will decrease the chance of a school shooters to be successful with their plan. That why i agree with the idea of specific armed teachers.

5. adviser on February 25th, 2019 9:52 pm

Hi Cristobal,

Thanks for your detailed analysis in responding to the “Arming Teachers? Required or Desired?” opinion piece by Christian Furman.

Mrs. Sultan

6. Brigette Dominguez on February 25th, 2019 10:34 am

The way this was written is on point. You stated the information amazingly and made some good points such as when you said, “The main fact of the matter is that world violence comes when guns are involved. ” As well as leaving your resources in the story is a good idea. The statistics area good thing when making your argument such as when you said, “According to the editorial board of the Washington Post, “it found that 94 percent of teachers pay for classroom supplies, spending an average of $479 a year. About 7 percent of teachers spend more than $1,000 a year.” Overall good job on this!

7. adviser on February 25th, 2019 9:48 pm

Excellent and detailed feedback Brigette!

Mrs. Sultan

8. lizette on February 25th, 2019 10:42 am

Honestly it may seem much more safer to have teachers/staff be armed but at the same time it really is not because students are not stupid they will find a way to get that weapon, lets think about it what if a student wants to harm us all but doesn’t have a way to get a weapon so their best way is the teachers because they are armed ‘for safety’ . But we also do need to be prepared for anything.

9. adviser on February 25th, 2019 9:46 pm

Thank you, Lizette, for your detailed analysis in response to your colleague’s opinion piece.:)
    Mrs. Sultan

10. Kiyana Thomas on April 4th, 2019 11:31 am

i don’t believe that teachers should be armed because its just another problem that we have to deal with that involves someone getting hurt because what it a student finds where a teacher or staff keeps them and get’s a hold of it and harms other students that won’t be solving anything they will think its OK to bring weapons to school it shouldn’t matter if their trained or not its not a good idea i completely disagree with this.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The student news site of  Desert Pines High School
Arming Teachers? Required or Desired?