Jaguar Post

Black History Month

Back to Article
Back to Article

Black History Month

(top row, right to left) Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King JR, *name unknown*, Jackie Robinson, Mae C. Jemison, Muhamid Ali. (bottom row, right to left) *name unknown* Shirley Chisholm, W.E.B Du Bois, *name unknown* Colin Powell, Harriet Tubman.

Who is Rosa Parks? Ever heard of Octavia E. Butler? How about Madam C.J Walker? Martin Luther King J.R? Muhammad Ali? Maya Angelo? Barack Obama? All of these people are leaders of an example for Black History Month.  Black History Month is a month to remember all of the African American historians that have somehow made a change.  Without some of the actions that these people have made then everything would be unfair, there would still be schools and restaurants, even jobs that would label people by the color of their skin. Barack Obama would have never been our 44th president if that was the case.

Speaking of Barack Obama if you did not know he was the 44th president of the United States, the first Black President. Obama was born on August 4,1961 as of right now he is 57 years old. Obama studied and went to collage at Harvard, Law school (1988-1991), Columbia University (1981-1983), Occidental Collage (1979-1981). He was senator is Illinois from 2005-2008 and was elected president of the United States the following year. Obama was elected twice for president back-to-back, from 2009-2017.Michelle Obama was our very first black first lady in the white house. Till this day even though he is no longer president Barack Obama and his wife still do everything the can to help [email protected]/people/barack-obama12782369

Now to take it back into history ,Martin Luther King JR, although you may have heard of him and some of the things he has done there’s always something more you may not know. On January 15,1929 Martin Luther king JR was born in Atlanta, Georgia. Martin was a civil rights leader, right after Rosa Parks was arrested for refusing to move seats on the bus to a white man in the colored section. Martin lead a boycott for the buss, people refused to ride the bus to make a point which it was mostly people of color that took part in this boycott. King lead more than 20 thousand people when he made his ‘I have a dream’ speech, in August 28, 1963. “I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia sons of farmers slaves and the sons of farmer slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood”- Martin Luther King JR ‘I have a dream’. The year after in 1964 king was awarded the Nobel piece prize. On April 3, 1968 King gave his ‘I been to the mountain top’ speech “we got some difficult days ahead but it don’t matter because I’ve been to the mountain top”- Martin Luther King JR ‘I been to the mountain top’. On April 4, 1968 the next day after his ‘I’ve been on the mountain top’ speech King was standing on the boncany of his motel room and was shot and killed at the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, Tennessee. King was awarded the presidential medal of freedom in 1977. The congretional gold medal was also awarded to King in 2004. King spent most of his life trying to make a difference for all people. From student to minister to a civil rights leader, King really did make his mark in [email protected]/people/martin-luther-king-jr9365086

There are many leaders that have not been heard of, Vivian “Millie” Bailey for an example, No she did not have a big speech to give in front of many people, she has not been so known as other but she was a leader. Millie grew up in the south during World War II. Millie signed up for the army in 1942, joined the army in late 1942 and with all her hard work she became commander of a woman’s unit. In April 1943 Millie became the commissions officer in April 1943, she ended up as a divisions officer with about 11 thousand people under her own management. Millie met Bill Clinton in 2009 she also got to meet Barack Obama. Millie still volunteered in capacities in the last decades. Mille was recognized in February 19,2018 for her 100th [email protected]/2018/02/27/millie-bailey

February 4,1913- October 24,2005 Rosa Parks lived 92 years as an American Activist. One night on December 1,1955 Rosa was riding the buss in the color section, the buss came to a stop and a white man got on. There was no more seats in the ‘white’ section so he had told Rosa to move out of her seat, Rosa refused. She did not move out of her seat she was tired and did not want to move so she stayed seated trying to make her point. That same night she was arrested for not moving the same bus driver that was driving that night James F Blake had left her in the rain in 1943. “I have learned over the years that when ones mind is made up, this disminishes fear, knowing what must be done does away with fear”- Rosa Parks.

To get on a more familiar note, Muhammad Ali January 17,1942- June 3,2016 he was 47 when he had died. Muhammad was a famous boxer some may say he was the best. “its a lack of faith that makes people afraid of meeting challenges and I believe in myself”-Muhammad Ali, with a total of 61 fights, 5 losses, 56 wins and 37 wins by k.o Muhamid was a pretty good example to believe in yourself and you could be great.  Jackie Robinson was born on January 31,1919 he was a baseball player  for the Dodgers. In 1947 he had broke the baseball color line when the Dodgers started him on first base on April 15 1947. He later died on October 24, 1972.

There is many other people that are and should be recognized for their actions that did to try to make a difference in things that they believed in. There are other activists, historians, and civil rights leaders that have done something they are passionate about that not everyone knows about. Which is why we set aside a whole month, this month in every February we take the time to recognize the millions of people that have or tried to make a change.

1 Comment

One Response to “Black History Month”

1. Christian Furman on March 1st, 2019 10:04 am

Hey, this is a brilliantly set up story for the way you naturally flow and hook the readers attention with such strong titles within doubtful questions.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The student news site of  Desert Pines High School
Black History Month