A Promise to a Stance: Can the First Amendment Secure Our Freedom to Words?

(Picture Credits: Speech, 1st Amendment, Freedom of Religion, Bill of Rights- Pinterest.com)

Perla Martinez Bravo, Senior Reporter

Freedom, Expression, and Religion are all characteristics confessed within the First Amendment of the U.S. Bill of Rights. Documented by James Madison in 1791, this revision promises to provide freedom to those of the press and religion, in addition to the people’s right to assemble peacefully. As journalists, how can the First Amendment help deliver our expressions in peace? Can this regulation demonstrate our freedom to proclaim what is right?

The United States is internationally recognized as one of few countries to support the people’s  independence and sympathetic will; therefore, freedom is a privilege to keep. The practice of religion is currently continuous, flourishing with peace and love granted from numerous followers, while the freedom of word is argumentatively debated between the press and people.

In regards to the First Amendment, our country assures to listen patiently to every argument with or against ordinary customs. Politics and social interactions are currently fundamental covers viewed by critics today. However, does this prized amendment contribute to a society of definite freedom or is it just a statement that seeks hope but no actions? The call for action is needed.

The foundation of journalism is capable of developing creativity among questions created. Student journalists, aside from myself, day by day make an effort to inform the public with knowledge and credibility concluded by various resources as a privilege that the First Amendment gives. In accordance to Jacob Smith’s “First Amendment Days seeks to educate students about freedoms” article, Smith interviews Iowa State University students and professionals in contrast to the subject.

“Our First Amendment is meant to protect all American citizens from encroaches by the government to our freedoms,” said Jacob Schrader, a Junior in economics. “Take advantage of these things.”

“You exercise your First Amendment rights just doing what you want to do and you don’t really worry about whether other people can silence you or not because they can’t,” claimed Schrader.  

“At ISU, we can write, we can publish, we can post things online and that’s all possible because of the First Amendment, said Taylor Blair, president of the College of Democrats. “I think that’s the best way to go forward. Just keep talking, keep talking.”

Smith’s interviews followed by the several responses appointed above demonstrate the advantage to the First Amendment and how we, as Americans should take in consideration daily.

In a following interview conducted by myself to Desert Pines High School Student Journalist, Jennifer Salgado-Garcia, the First Amendment became a serious topic to discuss.

Perla Martinez-Bravo (PM): “How would you define the First Amendment in your own words?”

Jennifer Salgado-Garcia (JS): “In my own words, we have the right to express to what comes to mind and no one has the limit to stop us.”

PM: “Journalism is founded based on the press’s freedom granted, can you consider journalists to have absolute liberty over their work?”

JS: “I think that we used to, but throughout time, journalists around the world have been murdered and persecuted for what they stand for. We are fortunate to be given freedom.”

PM: “As a student journalist, do you feel there should be more protection towards publishing a critical news story?”

JS: “There should be because if there is no protection (Journalism), no credit will be given and less work will be expressed freely.”  

The First Amendment promises to distribute equal expression and freedom to every person sustained in the U.S.A. The freedom to express and think are never a silence in our country. The possibilities in retaining news are never put on pause, except only judged by skeptical critics. The importance found within this amendment is gradually passed down to future generations of today’s society. As conclusion, the privilege that the United States currently keeps will forever balance the odds of a silent country.   

The Constitution was never meant to prevent people from praying; it’s declared purpose was to protect their freedom to pray.” -Ronald Reagan